Uttarakhand is a North Indian state which was formed after getting separated from Uttar Pradesh. The state is preferred as a perfect holiday destination for Chardham due to its hilly areas and is known as a “home of gods”. One can opt for this place to visit if they love trekking, wildlife expeditions, nature beauty or are planning on going on Chardham tour. You can find the spiritual places like Haridwar, Bageshwar, Guptakashi, Uttarkashi, Badrinath situated in the Himalayan Ranges. Jim Corbett National Park, Nanda Devi National Park, Gangotri National Park Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary, Benog Wildlife Sanctuary, Roopkund Trek, Valley of Flowers Trek are some other places whose stunning beauty attract tourists towards “Devbhoomi”. The state is divided into regions Garhwal and Kumaon (both having its own culture and language). The cuisines of this state include Garhwali, Indian, Chinese and Tibetan.
- Landour – Dating back to the early 19th century, the story of Gorkha conquest of Kumaon is considered as the origin of this place. Many famous personalities including writers like Ruskin Bond, Bill Aitken, Allan Sealy and some film personalities like Tom Alter, Vishal Bhardwaj were born here. Landour is a very small cantonment city. One can meet his inner self at this place as the place is very peaceful.
Main Attractions of Landour-
- Laal Tibba – It is located at a very high altitude above the sea level from where one can enjoy the eye treating view of Sun rise and sun set.
- Char Dukan Area – This is the perfect spot of shopping and eating. One can enjoy the chirping of birds, rustling of leaves. A very famous shop of delicious pizzas, burgers and pancakes of the locality
*Best time to visit- Anytime
- Mussoorie – The spellbound beauty of this place can make anyone fall in love with this place and it is quite obvious by the name only “Queen of Hills”. The place is famous for its development in the field of education and business. LBSNAA (Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration) is also located at this place. This is an academy where IAS and IPS gets trained for their service.
Main Attractions of Mussoorie:
- The Mall- A perfect place to spend time with your partner either by walking or by enjoying the horse ride. The scenic beauty of this place admires everyone.
- Jharipani Falls – It is a place where one can reach by doing trekking for around 1.5Km. The soul enriching sound of the waterfall gives a pleasant feeling to the tourists.
*Best time to visit- Only monsoon is avoidable due to slippery hills.
- Nainital- A place which is an amazing combination of lakes, waterfalls, temples and mountain views which dazzles and compels tourists to visit the place once in their life. It is renowned as “Lake City of India” as it is flecked with numerous lakes. One can opt for this place for shopping, spirituality, adventurous tasks and to enjoy their honeymoon.
Main Attractions of Nainital:
- Naina Devi Temple- The spiritual place in Nainital which is located at the extreme North of Naini Lake where thousands of devotees flock throughout the year to take the blessings of Maa Naina Devi.
- Naini Peak- The mesmerizing beauty of the mountain completely covered with snow and the
Spellbind beauty of the sunset view makes this peak a perfect place for sightseeing. Trekking and horse riding can also be done here.
*Best time to visit- Summer months.
- Rishikesh and Haridwar- Haridwar is a preferred place for spirituality and peace which is located on the holy river Ganga. Ganga Aarti of Haridwar is a major attraction of Haridwar and tourists get compelled by the spiritual aura of this sacred place. Rishikesh the combination of adventure and spirituality has two famous iron bridges named Ram Jhula and Lakshman Jhula. Rafting has recently been banned by HC of Uttarakhand.
Main Attractions of Haridwar and Rishikesh:
- Triveni Ghat- The religious Ganga Aarti is sung here at every evening whose scenic beauty is a major attraction of Rishikesh.
- Har Ki Pauri- The ghat located on the river Ganga where pilgrims take dip into the river and wash their sins.
*Best time to visit- Anytime except monsoon due to slippery mountains.
- Chamoli-A town in Uttarakhand which is free from weather limitation and one can excurse this place anytime throughout the year. The village area of this place is rich in scenic beauty and Garhwali culture. Chamoli is a clubbing of Badrinath Temple, devoted Hemkund Sahib, The blossoming valley of flowers, Auli, Gopeshwar, Tungnath and many others. This place has its name in history also as the environment reform” Chipko Movement” started at this place only.
Main Attractions of Chamoli:
- Auli- A hub of greenery, adventure, skiing activities, mountains like Nanda Devi, Kamat Kamet and Mana Parvat.
- Roopkund Lake- Also known as “ Mysterious Lake” and “skeleton lake of India” due to many human skeletons underlying there in lake.
*Best time to visit- Throughout the year monsoon must be avoided.
- Dhanaulti- If someone wants to be free from their hectic and harsh life then they can opt for Dhanaulti which is not a big town but still acquire its important place in the list of beautiful and serene places. Unlike other tourist attraction places, Dhanaulti doesn’t have much bigger attractions for tourists but it is a place where one can inner self and can enjoy the mesmerizing beauty of the nature.
Main Attractions of Dhanaulti:
- Surkanda Devi Temple- This place is a combination of spirituality and trekking as one can do philosophy of goddess Parvati by doing a trekking of 1.5Km from Kaddukhal Village.
- Thangdhar Camp- One of the most thrilling place in Dhanaulti Known for adventurous activities like rock climbing, rappelling, trekking etc.
Best time to visit- October to January and summer (April to June).
- Chardham( Yamunotri, Gangotri, Badrinath and Kedarnath)- The pilgrimage of Gangotri and Yamunotri is the dedication towards philosophy of goddess Ganga and Yamuna. Kedarnath is for the philosophy of lord Shiva and Badrinath is dedicated to lord Vishnu. There is a belief amongst pilgrims that this pilgrimage can freed them from their sins. Pilgrims take a dip in Ganga and wash their sins as per the belief.
Main Attractions of Chardham:
- Surya Kund of Yamunotri- The kund holds hot water spring which is a refreshing thing after trekking and it is located inside the temple premises.
- Bheem Pul There is a belief that Bheema( Pandava ruler) built this pul for his wife as during awar she was not able to cross the river so Bheema built this pul over the river for her comfort.
*Best time to visit- Anytime except monsoon.
- Chakrata- A pleasing spot which makes a person relaxed from the crowded and polluted area of their place. It is extensively surrounded by bird’s eye views like Mussoorie is in the east of Chakrata, Kinnaur on the west. One can enjoy the snowfall during winter season and can excurse many caves and ancient temples of this undisturbed place. Waterfalls, many hiking sites and some small treks are also there around Chakrata.
Main Attractions of Chakrata:
- Tiger Falls- The soul endowing beauty of this place including dense forest, water flowing between the rocks and the mountains attract numerous tourists.
- Budher Caves – The origin of this place is based upon the story of Vanvas ( exile) done by Pandavas before the Mahabharata war.
*Best time to visit- Throughout the year but is mostly avoidable during monsoon as rocks become slippery.
- Jim Corbett- One of the world famous Wildlife sanctuaries situated in Nainital and was established to save Bengal tigers from getting extinct. Jim Corbett National park is abundant in numerous flora and fauna species whose growth and nurturing is significantly affected by the favorable climatic conditions of the area. Tourists can enjoy the excursion of the forest by opting for any ride out of Jeep Safari, Canter Safari or Elephant Safari.
Main Attractions of Jim Corbett:
- Corbett Falls- One can enjoy the sounds of water flowing between the rocks and can click some beautiful pictures to get the memories of the trip.
- Safari Rides- Many safari rides are available to expedite the beauty of the park including Jeep Safari, Canter Safari and Elephant Safari.
Best time to visit- December to February.
- Binsar –Sitting at an elevation of 2,420 metres above sea level, amidst the unbelievable natural beauty the magnificent hill station and getaway destination of Binsar is hiding in plain sight and is one of the most offbeat tourist destinations of Uttarakhand. due to the dearth of travelers the place has managed to keep itself untainted and unspoiled from the continuous changing world. popular for its majestic views of the surroundings mountain peaks of nanda devi, panchchuli and nandakot, Binsar is truly a wonderful location to get some much needed peace of mind.
Main Attractions of Binsar:
- Bineshwar Mahadev Temple – As the name suggests this temple is dedicate to Lord Shiva and its construction datesback to 16th century AD during the reign of Raja Kalyan Chand and holds incredible tourist interest.
- Gairar Golu Devta – This is popular for being one of the most famous Kumaon temples which as the name suggests is dedicated to Golu devta and is situated at a distance of just 2 km from the Binsar wildlife sanctuary.
- Best time to visit – April to June
- Auli –Popular for being the skiing destination of India, Auli is one of the most incredibly tranquil destinations of Uttarakhand which attracts a throng of tourists from far and wide. Auli is a bugyal or a lush green meadow whose smooth hilly tracts are converted into a skiing ground during the winter months. This place is generally visited by pilgrims on their way to the pilgrimage of Badrinath Dham which is situated at a distance of 50 kms.
Main Attractions of Auli:
- Gurso Bugyal – sitting amidst some of the most picturesque views at an elevation of 3,056 metres above sea level, this lush green meadow which offers magnificent views of the surroundingsand is located at a distance of 3 km from Auli.
- Chenab lake – this is one of the least discovered lakes of India however it is worth the visit. It is known for its serene environment and an overall tranquil atmosphere. This enchanting spot offers magnificent views of the clear blue lake.
- Best time to visit – for skiing – December to February; for a peaceful time – April to June
- Munsiyari – The beautiful destination of Munsiyari is popular as a weekend getaway option for travelers form people residing in nearby places especially biking enthusiasts. You will be able to savour some magnificent and majestic views of the surrounding peaks of panchuli peaks, nanda devi and nandakot. This place is a good option if you want to have a taste of the Himalayan trekking expedition.
Main Attractions of Munsiyari:
- Birthi Falls – Situated at a comfortable distance of 35 km from the beautiful city of Munsiyari which is easily accessible by completing a comfortable trekking journey. this waterfall surges downward from a height of 400 metres.
- Dharchula – The village hamlet of Dharchula is located at a distance of 93 kms and is located at the banks of the river Kali and is deemed for being one of the most important towns that falls en route Kailash Mansarovar.
- Best Time to Visit – April to June and October to March
- Chopta –Surrounded by evergreen lush meadows and thick and thriving forest cover the pristine and a popular trekking destination of Chopta is located in the Kedarnath wildlife sanctuary which serves as the base for trekking to the highest Lord Shiva temple if the world, Tungnath. The unspoiled natural beauty of chopta is experienced by a number of people looking to spend some quiet time among the serenity of the calming environment that this place has to offer.
Main Attractions of Chopta:
- Koteshwar Mahadev Temple – Located right in the heart of Rudraprayag district, as the name suggests this ancient temple constructed by bhasmasur is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Hariyali Devi Temple – Dedicated to maa hariyali devi who is also worshipped as bala devi and Vaishno Devi It is believed that the temple is built on the spot where Mahamaya’s hand had fell.
- Best Time to Visit – March to June
- Kanatal –The quaint village hamlet of Kanatal is located at a mere distance of 12 km from the beautiful hill station of Chamba. You will be able to have a 360 degree view of the surrounding snow capped peaks which will be combined with the unbelievable lush greenery of the forests. The entire environment and atmosphere of Kanatal is known for its unparalleled natural beauty and an unparalleled sense of serenity.
Main Attractions of Kanatal:
– Kodia Jungle – A much loved paradise for wildlife and landscape photographers as well as nature lovers, this place is situated at a mere distance of 5 to 6 km from Kanatal.
– New Tehri – Known for being almost the only planned city of Uttarakhand this charming town gives spectacular views of the valley and river below. Famous for its tehri dam this place is truly a dream come true for travelers.
– Best Time to Visit – April to September