Children need food to grow up, they also need computers to learn and play. In today’s world computers provide a number of ways that help children in learning and entertainment. Food also can range from hygienic to junk and so on. Many of these foods can cause allergic reaction in children, and many foods can be harmful to children in the long run. Computers on the other hand seem good for children for there are also a number of effects that can negative affect children. Recent studies and some reports from monitoring organizations have shown that there are a number of effects that can very seriously impact children’s physical, mental, social and learning abilities in a negative way.
NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF COMPUTERS:
• EDUCATION: The general consensus is that computers can have a lot of positive effect on children’s learning. They can help in learning and improving mathematics and science skills, as well as their language skills. But most recent reports tend to disagree with the view and point out that traditional form of learning with books tend to help children acquire mathematics, science and language skills better.
One very important aspect regarding this is the fact that when solving problems or science with computers mostly they can use the internet for information and also use calculators, which vastly reduces their calculating abilities. Moreover content over the internet are very precise and often lacks detailed approach, which might leave the children with incomplete knowledge and understanding. Most questions designed for subjects are in the form of MCQ or very short answer types, which might not be sufficient to evaluate the understanding of the student. In case of language or literature the case is worse, as the children might not be able to have any other view other than the given one. Moreover the need for face to face conversation is extremely essential for proper understanding of the language, and development of the language skills.
• PHYSICAL PROBLEMS: Prolonged exposure to computer screens can have severe effects to the eyes and the brain. Children can suffer from fatigue and headaches often. They can also suffer from blurred vision and discomfort of the eyes. All these can develop into serious problems in the long run
While using computers children tend to be glued to the screen for hours on end. This again leads to lack of necessary physical activity essential for healthy living and growth. Lack of physical activity may lead to obesity and other health related problems. Moreover they can also suffer from joint pains in the fingers from prolonged typing. Along with these prolonged confinement in closed places can also lead to some other health related problems.
• PSYCHOLOGICAL: one of the major worry is the psychological effect it can have on children. They can become loners and develop very little social skills due to prolonged time on computers for games or study. Many even can start to live in a make believe world in the long run. Another aspect of computers is that they may start to be too absorbed in the game or stuff like that and keep ignoring home-works or assignments.
• SOCIAL: The social skills of children may be hugely affected by too much use of computers. They tend to become isolated and feel more comfortable with the cyber world. This can be hugely harmful to their psychology also.
• INAPPROIATE CONTENT: children can become victims of cyberbullies and other forms of crime on the internet. They can also be exposed to pornography or other adult content which can have a major impact on their health.
NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF FOOD:
• EDUCATION: Though dyslexia and other learning disabilities have been attributed to genetic and other developmental factors, recent studies show that improper nutrition particularly during the formative years can be very harmful to children. They show that improper diet, and lack of proper and balanced diet can hugely affect the learning abilities of a child. Recent studies also show that children who are more into chips, crisps, pizza and other junk food from early childhood can have lower IQ than their balanced diet counterpart.
• BEHAVIOUR: Multiple studies have also shown that consumption of junk food and fast food can lead t aggressive and violent behavior. These kinds of food are deficient in food values and that can be associated in such behavior. These can lead to violent and antisocial behavior in the long run.
Also junk food can be addictive to most children and that can result in overeating which might result in overweight and obesity. This can again result in their social isolation, bullying and other medical conditions.
• HYPERACTIVITY: some studies indicate that improper diet can also have effects on hyperactivity and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
• ALLERGY: some food might cause allergic reaction to children and can result in huge health impact on children in the longer run.
Though computers seem to be more harmful for kids than food, too much of food can also lead to obesity and diabetes. They can also make children lethargic which will affect their social skills, learning abilities, and assignments. They might also result in their isolation and bullying. These can also impact them psychologically.
Overall both can be equally bad when unrestricted. But if used properly and with parental discretion both might not harm children in any way.